The Akropolis Reed Quintet’s internship program offers real-world, hands-on experiences for college students and recent graduates who are interested in pursuing a career in music, arts administration, nonprofit management, and live event production.
The Detroit based, Billboard charting Akropolis Reed Quintet is a factory of untamed sounds and ideas. Over their 14-year history, they have commissioned more than 150 works with dozens of multi-disciplinary collaborators to pioneer a new musical genre: the reed quintet. With a “collective voice driven by real excitement and a sense of adventure” (The Wire), Akropolis has “taken the chamber music world by storm” (Fanfare). Kari, Matt, Andrew, Ryan, and Tim are united by a shared passion: to use their virtuosic wind power to form lasting relationships. Read More +
If you are interested in learning what it takes to make a successful career in the arts, then we want you on our team! The goal of our internship program is to keep climbing into our second decade while helping a new generation of arts administrators and chamber music leaders learn skills that will help them thrive.
An Akropolis internship will include a range of commitments, but can be personalized based on individual interest and organizational needs. Focus areas include but are not limited to the following:
- Assisting in the organization and execution or our local and national events
- Day-to-day nonprofit administration, including maintaining our database and interfacing with our Board of Directors
- Educational programming coordination and documentation, with an opportunity to help administer our composition residency at 3 Detroit high schools
- Digital marketing and content creation on our social media, website, and more
- Sheet music publishing, including expanding, promoting, and administering the Akropolis Collection
- Interfacing with industry professionals and press by helping write and send press releases
- Supporting Akropolis’ development efforts, including individual fundraising and grant writing
An internship aims to help you learn what goes into successfully managing a chamber music ensemble and nonprofit organization, including interacting with industry professionals, including the members of Akropolis, through hands-on experiences.
Time Commitment & Compensation
4-10 hours a week are expected. Hours are flexible and adaptable, with the majority of work to take place remotely when and where the intern desires. All internships are unpaid opportunities. Travel and driving reimbursements will be made available when applicable. Interns local to Southeast Michigan have the opportunity to be directly involved in Together We Sound festival and other local events.
For University of Michigan School of Music, Theatre, and Dance students, course credit between 1 and 3 credits is available in addition to an opportunity to apply for a $1,000 grant to cover expenses related to the internship through the EXCEL Internship Fund.
For Eastern Michigan University students, students are able to enroll in CTAR 489: Internship in Arts Management to receive 3 credit hours to an Akropolis internship.
For Michigan State University students, students are able to enroll in internship courses for credit. Course numbers vary with each department; music students can enroll in MUS466 or MUS866: Internship in Music for 1-3 credits.
If you are enrolled in another institution around the country, we are happy to work with your university if you are eligible to receive work-study or course credit for this Internship.
What We Require
- A strong preference to be based in Southeast Michigan, with the ability to assist with our local events. If you’re not based in Southeast Michigan, we would still encourage you to apply, as we’ve had 3 interns in the past not based in Michigan who’ve still been able to impact our organization.
- A background in the arts, nonprofits, or interest in chamber music
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Strong organizational and time management skills
- The ability to manage multiple projects with competing deadlines under minimal supervision
- Strong interpersonal skills when it comes to interfacing with audience members, board members, and other professionals
At this time, Akropolis is currently looking for 1 to 2 new interns to join our team for the 22/23 season!
To apply please send your resume and a cover letter to email@example.com.
All interviews will take place during September 2022, and all interns will be hired prior to October 1, 2022.
Akropolis Quintet, Inc. is an equal opportunity employer, and does not discriminate against applicants on the basis of any characteristic protected by law, such as race, color, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, height, weight, ancestry, marital status, veteran status, or disability.
What our previous interns have to say…
“Working with Akropolis has been one of the best decisions of my life. I applied on a whim thinking I was highly unqualified, but I am so glad I did. I was able to gain knowledge about what it takes to run a non-profit organization which solidified my dream to run my own one day. Furthermore, I had the opportunity to assist in many creative projects that I had the ability to see come to fruition. Additionally, I had the opportunity to meet so many fascinating people, and I am truly thankful for the relationship that I have formed with the whole quintet. I cannot express my gratitude enough and I highly recommend applying!”
“I owe so much to the Akropolis Reed Quintet. During my time as an intern, Akropolis shaped me into a fierce, innovative, goal-oriented, and creative musician and entrepreneur. By being an endless source of inspiration, Akropolis has shown me that a career in the arts can be whatever you want it to be and that a positive attitude while being kind can lead to something unimaginable and will greatly impact the world around you. My time with Akropolis has given me every tool I need for a successful career running an arts organization and I have created a life-long bond with two mentors that have made a great personal impact on me. I am forever grateful for what the Akropolis has done on my future.”
“Working with Akropolis has been an absolutely invaluable experience. No class or coursework can truly give you the hands on experience that you get working behind the scenes with a world class non profit organization. This internship has opened up so many doors for me professionally and personally, and for that I owe a lot to Akropolis and this internship. The skills I have learned apply to countless facets of my life as a musician and beyond. I cannot recommend this internship enough to anyone who is looking for a unique and meaningful learning experience.”